May is Better Sleep Month!
There is nothing better than a great night’s sleep. And on the flip side, nothing can kill your ability to think and be productive than a sleepless night. When you are deprived of sleep, it’s difficult to stay on task or even stay friendly, for that matter.
Here are 5 simple tips to a better night’s sleep.
1. Turn off the media. Put down the iPhone or iPad and turn off the TV. The light from these devices actually stimulates the brain and can keep you awake. Read a book or flip through a magazine instead.
2. Keep it dark. Close the blinds. And if you have a very bright alarm clock, turn it away from you.
3. Keep it chilly. Cooler temps can help bring down the core body temperature that initiates sleepiness.
4. Stick to a schedule. Try to go to bed at the same time each night. Getting into a routine can help you get to sleep faster.
5. Stretch. Stretching releases serotonin, which naturally makes us feel better and improves our moods. If the cause of your insomnia is worry, stretching may help.
Kelly Seeley and Tylene Headley are founders of spa50.com, the Tampa day spa authority and online resource for spa owners and spa-going consumers.