From Terrace Community Middle School:
, a longtime educator at Terrace Community Middle School, succeeded Gary Hocevar as principal of the school June 4.
Hocevar retired as chief education officer/principal June 1. It was a position he had for more than 10 years.
“The students, faculty and staff of TCMS thank him for his years of leadership, and wish him much happiness in his retirement,” said Helen Ratcliffe, director of Student and Personnel Services.
Hocevar came out of his first retirement to become the school’s principal, and during his tenure, he guided the school through:
- a move to its very own facility located in Thonotosassa;
- a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award;
- 10 years of being an “A” school and Adequate Yearly Progress under the No Child Left Behind Act;
- the granting of a 15-year charter from the school’s sponsor (School District of Hillsborough County); and
- being named a high performing charter school by the Commissioner of Education (Florida Department of Education).
TCMS students, who receive a back to basics education based on a modified Department of Defense curriculum, consistently rank among the top in the district and the state on state-mandated tests.
Hocevar will continue his ties with the school as the chief executive director for the school’s governing board on a part-time basis. He can be reached by email at email@example.com.