Celebrated in an estimated 90 cities across the country, National Plug In Day is meant to promote the benefits of electric vehicles (EVs) by highlighting their clean-air benefits and cost-savings.
“Thanks to the continued drop in prices, plug-in vehicles are now within the reach of millions of Americans,” Kelly said in a press release. “Many are now driving ‘for free’ because their car payments are equal to or even less than they paid for gasoline. Our aim is to raise awareness of this affordability and the many other benefits of EVs.”
This is the third year the event will be celebrated nationally and the second year Temple Terrace and the Tampa area are participating. Daniels Chevrolet will provide on-site EV test drives. There will also be two food trucks: The Cheesesteak Truck and Smoothin & Shaken.
The schedule includes:
- 11 a.m., Proclamation by Temple Terrace Mayor Frank Chillura; introductory remarks from partners
- 11:30 a.m., Commencement of Plug-In Day events; EV test drives; displays of various EVs by owners; ECO Fair displays
- noon-2 p.m., Remote broadcast of WMNF Community Radio’s “The 60s Show”
Local National Plug In Day partners include:
- University of South Florida
- Patel College of Global Sustainability
- Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County
- Sun Coast Electric Vehicle Association
- Clean Cities Tampa Bay
Local sponsors include:
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Café Kili
- UUCT Green Group
- Florida Consumer Action Network
“The event last year was a great success,” said Temple Terrace Mayor Frank Chillura.
“I’m really looking forward to this year.”
For more information, visit National Plug In Day online.
Heading to National Plug in Day in Temple Terrace? If you take photos share them on the Temple Terrace Patch Snapshots Board! You can also share them nationally on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram by using the hashtag #NPID2013.