Teen Accused of Sparking Hillsborough High Fireworks Incident
Fifty-three Tampa Police officers responded to Hillsborough High School yesterday after getting reports of shots being fired. A Temple Terrace teen was arrested for starting the incident by lighting fireworks on campus.
The Tampa Police Department takes school safety seriously.
One Temple Terrace teen learned the hard way yesterday just how serious they are.
Tampa Police Department officers say the teen, 17-year-old Akeria Bowden, is responsible for the chaos that erupted at Hillsborough High School, 5000 N. Central Ave., Jan. 24 after reports of shots fired were received.
As it turned out, shots weren’t fired on the campus, but fireworks were set off. During the initial investigation, 53 Tampa Police Officers responded to Hillsborough High to secure the campus and its students, a department media release said.
Once the dust settled, it was discovered that fireworks had caused the gunshot-like sounds.
“The suspect was captured on surveillance video setting off the fireworks,” the release said. “A teacher identified her in the video and when questioned, she admitted to the crime. She was transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center.”
Bowden was charged with inciting a riot and tampering with evidence.
Here’s a timeline of yesterday’s events at Hillsborough High:
- 2:20 p.m. - 911 caller said shots were fired on the 4th floor of Hillsborough High School
- 2:20 p.m. - School resource officer notified and started searching the school
- 2:21 p.m. - Two officers arrived on scene and entered the school and began to search the building
- 2:22 p.m. - Several officers arrived and entered the school
- 2:24 p.m. - Dozens of officers searching inside the school
- 2:25 p.m. - Tampa Fire arrived on scene and set up a staging area
- 2:26 p.m. - Officers found evidence of lit fireworks in the southwest portion of the school
- 2:30 p.m. - Police bomb K-9 searched the building for any explosives