UPDATE: Meet Local Candidates at 3 Upcoming Forums
There will be at least three opportunities in October for the community to learn about candidates running in the Nov. 6 election.
Update: The Temple Terrace Preservation Society has had to change the venue for its candidate forum to the Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club, Main Ballroom.
Update: The Tampa 912 forum on Oct. 1 will take place at Temple Terrace United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall.
Want to know more about the candidates vying for Temple Terrace Mayor and City Council?
You’ll have at least three chances in October as community organizations host forums throughout Temple Terrace.
Here’s a round up of the scheduled events.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
Tampa 912 Project Temple Terrace Candidate Forum
Oct. 1, 7-9 p.m.
Location to be determined
All Temple Terrace candidates—including mayoral candidates Frank Chillura and Cheri Donohue, and City Council candidates Mary Jane Neale, Grant Rimbey and Eddie Vance—have confirmed their attendance to this event, according to the Tampa 912 Project event post. Tim Curtis, chairman of the Tampa 912 Project, will moderate and ask questions from the audience. A straw poll will also be taken. Refreshments will be provided.
Greater Temple Terrace Chamber of Commerce Candidates Forum
Oct. 4, 6:30-7 p.m. (meet and greet with candidates), 7 p.m. (forum begins)
First Baptist Church Temple Terrace in the Family Life Center
Sponsored by Sherwood Forest of Temple Terrace and moderated by the League of Women Voters, this forum will include city, state and national candidates. According to the Greater Temple Terrace Chamber of Commerce, confirmed candidates as of Monday afternoon include:
- All Temple Terrace municipal candidates (Chillura, Donohue, Neale, Rimbey and Vance)
- Carol W. Kurdell, Hillsborough County School Board
- Dan Raulerson, State House Representative 58
- Jose N. Vazquez, State House Representative 58
- Elizabeth Belcher, State Senate District 24
- Tom Lee, State Senate District 24
- E.J. Otero, U.S. House of Representatives District 14
Refreshments will be provided by the GFWC Temple Terrace Woman’s Club and GFWC Temple Terrace Junior Woman’s Club.
Temple Terrace Preservation Society Candidate Forum
Oct 18, 7 p.m.
Temple Terrace Community Church Parrish Hall
Each election cycle, the Tempe Terrace Preservation Society has a town hall type forum in which it invites all candidates who are running for office in Temple Terrace to attend, according to a TTPS press release. Chillura, Donohue, Neale and Vance will participate in this year’s forum. Rimbey is the vice president of TTPS and will attend but not participate.
“The forum will consist of each candidate being provided five minutes to speak about his/her platform in general, followed by a question and answer session moderated by TTPS,” according to the release. “All questions asked will be related to historic preservation issues. Our purpose is to understand each candidate’s position on topics important to TTPS. Most of these issues affect the community at large so we expect the general public will find the forum of interest and urge you to attend.”
Topics that might be discussed include:
- The City of Temple Terrace developing a Certified Local Government (CLG);
- The importance of TTPS initiatives as they relate to adding to the cultural fabric and quality of life in Temple Terrace;
- The importance of TTPS initiatives relative to generating ECO and Heritage tourism dollars;
- Historic Preservation and the current city code; and
- Benefits civic organizations provide to Temple Terrace and the city’s role in supporting them.
Refreshments will be provided during the forum.