Free Child Immunizations Offered Saturday
Local groups are offering the annual vaccinations at the University Community Health Center.
For the eighth year, the Back to School Coalition of Hillsborough County and University Area Community Development Corporation Inc. (UACDC) have worked to ensure that school-aged children receive necessary immunizations, physicals exams and supplies at the annual Back to School Festival.
On Aug. 18, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., students can get free immunizations and school supplies at the University Area Community Health Center, 13601 N. 22nd St.
The coalition offers eight sites across Hillsborough County to host events for this service, and the University Area Community Health Center is one of the most popular, according to a press release. In all, the immunization service has helped nearly 24,000 children—the equivalent of immunizing almost four full elementary schools each year.
Outreach requires the coordination and support from several organizations, including the University of South Florida, the release states. Examples include:
- USF Tools for School, a program of the USF Health Service Corps and USF Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement, set up donation boxes around campus to collect school supplies
- The Department of Family and Aging Services of Hillsborough County, serving the University area community, orders and donates school supplies
- Physicians and nurses volunteer their time, each assisted by volunteer medical or nursing students from the USF Health Service Corps and the USF BRIDGE Healthcare Clinic
- Area hospitals develop flyers in English and Spanish and donate call centers for advance appointment setting
- Hillsborough County Health Department coordinates and provides vaccinations
- Florida KidCare representatives are on site to provide information on health insurance for children
For more information about the immunizations or to make an advance appointment, call 813-443-3048. Walk-ins are also welcomed. Immunization records are required for free immunizations. Free school physicals are available for any child entering a Florida school for the first time.