Council to Discuss Reworked Golf Cart Ordinance
The issue is expected to come back to City Council at tonight's meeting.
In January, the City Council asked city staff to rework a golf cart ordinance that would expand the use of golf carts on city streets.
At tonight’s council meeting, the revised ordinance is expected to come back to the council for consideration.
Under the current ordinance, golf cart users are only permitted to drive to and from the Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club. New provisions that staff proposed in January included that:
- all golf carts be registered with the City of Temple Terrace;
- drivers possess a valid driver’s license;
- drivers obey all the rules of the road; and
- golf carts meet basic equipment requirements (such as adequate brakes and steering).
During the previous discussion, Community Development Director Charles Stephenson said for a $10 annual fee to the city, golf cart owners could drive their carts in an area that stretches south of Fowler Avenue to the Hillsborough River and east of 56th Street to the Hillsborough River.
Council members said they had concerns about the fee, as the Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club already charges a $20 annual fee for carts to drive on its property. They said they didn’t think it would be fair to charge golf cart owners an additional fee.
They also had concerns about the area in which golf carts would be allowed. Under the ordinance proposed in January, residents of Raintree, located north of Fowler Avenue, wouldn’t be able to drive carts through their neighborhood.
According to the meeting agenda, the mayor and council are also expected to:
- hear a presentation on the city’s drinking water award;
- hear a presentation on candy-flavored tobacco and consider a resolution encouraging tobacco retailers to help stop the sale of such tobacco to children;
- make two proclamations: one regarding Child Abuse Prevention Month, and the other regarding Municipal Clerk’s Week.
The meeting begins at 6 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall. It is also televised live on Verizon channel 39 and Bright House channel 950 and rebroadcast on Mondays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays at 2 p.m.