Historic Palmer Marker to be Dedicated to City
The first historic marker in Hillsborough County with a photograph - dedicated to the historical significance of Temple Terrace Founder Mrs. Bertha Palmer and the only Palmer structure remaining in Temple Terrace - will be formally presented to the City on October 29, 2012 at 5 p.m. at the Woodmont Clubhouse and Woodmont Park Gazebo.
The date - October 29 - marks the 33rd anniversary for the establishment of the Woodmont Clubhouse Association, Inc. - the organization that saved the building from destruction and turned the original outbuilding from Palmer's "Riverhills Ranch" (circa 1914) into a thriving non-profit community center and home for its sponsoring clubs.
The marker is a result of five community organizations coming together in a group effort coordinated by local historian Grant Rimbey of the Temple Terrace Preservation Society and Woodmont Clubhouse Association President Ruth Morris. Matching funds from the GFWC Temple Terrace Woman's Club, the GFWC Temple Terrace Junior Woman's Club, the Temple Terrace Garden Club, the Temple Terrace Preservation Society and the Woodmont Clubhouse Association.
The public is invited to the formal dedication ceremony, followed by an Open House of the clubhouse and grounds, hosted by the Woodmont Clubhouse Association, Inc.